(Kinh Thiện Ác Nhân Quả)
1. Why have you become an official in this life?
Because in your past life you offered gold to decorate Buddha’s statues.
2. In your past life you built temples and rest houses.
Therefore in this life you enjoy long life, prosperity and happiness.
3. In your past life you recited Sutras and Buddhas’ names.
In this life you are a person with great intelligence and insight.
4. You offered robes to members of the Shangha in the past.
At present you are bestowed with fine clothing made of silk and delicate materials.
5. In your past life you offered rice to temples.
In this life you live in luxurious houses.
6. You had offered oil to light the lamps for the Buddhas.
In this life you enjoy good eye sight.
7. In your past life you had offered fresh flowers to the Buddhas.
In this life you are blessed with great physical beauty and grace.
8. In your past life you had offered banners to the Buddhas.
In this life you enjoy happy marriage.
9. In your past life you had donated for the support of the Sangha.
In this life you are blessed with virtuous wife and good daughters-in-law.
10. You had shown respect and help to the lonely.
In this life you are blessed with living parents.
11. In your past life you slandered Buddhism, and prevented people from going to temples.
In this life you are spared from being struck by thunder bolts, but you can not escape from being burned.
12. You had made fun of people showing homage to the Buddhas.
In this life you suffer from being a hunchback.
13. You had not believed in the Buddhas or in the Dharma.
In this life you are born deaf.
14. In your past life you had slandered and scolded your parents.
In this life you are born dumb or stuttering.
15. In past life you slandered your husband.
In this life you become a widow when you are still young.
16. In your past life you had released birds.
In this life you are blessed with many children and grand children.
17. In your past life you had released fish to the water.
This life you enjoy longevity.
18. In your past life you had beaten your parents.
This life you suffer from being disabled.
19. In your past life you showed hatred to people.
This life you bear the hardship in raising your children.
20. In your past life you had supported the Triple Gems.
In this life you either become an official with good standing or a rich person.
21. You had not paid your debts in your past life.
You would be born as a horse or a buffalo to repay your debt.
22. You treated animals badly.
This life, you suffer from skin diseases.
23. In your past life, you had built roads and bridges.
In this life, all comforts of luxurious travel are at your disposal.
24. You had destroyed roads and bridges in the past.
You therefore would be born as a crippled.
25. You had been indifferent to others’ worries and sufferings.
In this life, you will be miserable with illnesses.
26. You had ignored, showing no concerns to others.
This brings you a lonely existence, being incarcerated.
27. You had caused hatred, making many enemies.
You therefore would be bitten by a snake or devoured by a tiger.
28. You had caused harm to others for your personal benefits.
In this life you will end your miserable existence by hanging yourself.
29. You had shown no gratitude, and betrayed others.
In this life, you would be born as a slave or servant.
30. You had badly treated your servants in the past.
You would be born as an ugly humpback.
31. You deceived the blind in your past life.
You would be born as a dog or a pig.
32. To give a helping hand to others is to get admiration and respect in return.
33. To show respect to the elders is to enjoy a long and happy life.
34. In your past life, you had made fun of beggars.
In this life you would be starving, a homeless person.
35. You had given rice to the poor in the past.
In this life, you will live comfortably being well-fed and well-clothed.
36. You slandered, and spoke ill of others in your past life.
This life, you would be harmed from the ingestion of poison.
37. You had fabricated stories to harm others in the past.
You would suffer from internal diseases by vomiting blood.
38. You had committed adultery in your past.
You would suffer by living a lonely life.
39. You did not love your wife and children in the past.
You would suffer from being alone in this life.
40. To have no faith in the Buddha, in the Dharma; to slander the Triple Gems; To do harm to the virtuous would result in having your tongue cut off, your body sliced into pieces; put in boiling water, in scorching fire; being slashed and pierced by devils or demons.
41. To have no faith in the laws of causation and rebirth and to do bad deeds, one would be, as a result, tied up along burning copper column, put into a cauldron full of melted copper, under going many sufferings.
42. Lying, slandering, fabrication, cruel words in regards to the Sangha, the Buddha and the Dharma, are causes for being sent to hell, where one is forced to swallow burning irons, and have mortar repeatedly thrushed into one’s mouth, or be shackled by demons.
43. To support the Triple Gems, to give alms to the Sangha and to the poor would result in a happy, prosperous and healthy life.
44. To build a Buddha Statue is to obtain a happy life, free of illnesses and calamities.
45. To worship the Buddhas is to obtain a happy life, full of shining lights, freed from bad karma, with virtuous mother, pious children. In short, a happy, harmonious family.